Do you have a job or internship interview coming up? Are you unsure how to prepare or what to expect? The Career Development Center is here to help. Review our five quick tips for interview preparation below and then schedule an appointment with a career coach to discuss specifics or to conduct a mock interview.
- Research the Company! It’s absolutely essential that you are knowledgeable about the company/organization you are interviewing with. Run a Google Search. Look up the organization on LinkedIn. Follow its other social media sites. Visit their website and review their mission statement. Learn as much as you can before your interview.
- Get Your Outfit Ready. If you don’t already have one, get a suit as it’s a safe bet for most interviews. Make sure your interview outfit is pressed and ready to go the night before your interview. You don’t need one more thing to stress about on interview day.
- Prepare Your Materials. Print off several copies of your resume and reference list. Organize a portfolio of your work (if necessary).
- Rehearse Beforehand. Practice common interview questions. You know they are coming so have strong answers and examples prepared. “Tell me a little bit about yourself.” “What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?” “Why did you apply to this position?” “Why are you interested in working for this company?” “Why should we hire you for this position?
- Plan Your Route and Arrive Early. Know how to get to your interview site and plan to arrive 15 minutes early. Always bring contact information for the company in case of an emergency.