The NOLA festin’ has begun! The fun of the festivals is here and will continue on our calendars until the end of the semester. As the old saying goes here in NOLA, “We live to eat; we don’t eat to live”. Even though good food and festivals are a part of the culture, it is important to be mindful of maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle with finals approaching. Here are a few helpful hints to stay safe and healthy during festivals AND finals:
1. Eat a well-balanced diet including fruits and vegetables; reserve your “cheats” for special occasions
2. In between the occasional po’boy, try to incorporate these brain power foods into your diet: blueberries, whole grains, tomatoes, nuts, fish, and leafy green veggies
3. Get at least 8 hours of sleep every night
4. Exercise regularly
5. Take a multivitamin daily
6. Manage your stress with techniques that have worked for you in the past or seek help if you are unable to manage stress on your own
7. Avoid cigarette and alcohol use
8. When going out, make sure you are accompanied by friends at all times
9. Be aware of your surroundings and report any unusual activity to the authorities
10. Do not accept drinks from people you don’t know
11. With the warmer weather festivities, it’s all about fun in the sun! Don’t forget to wear sunscreen and a hat.
12. Hydrate well with water!
Be kind to your body and it will be kind to you!
If you need any medical advice on healthy living, please visit us in Student Health Services located in the basement of the Danna Center.