Being on a college campus can increase your chances of getting sick during this cold and flu season. Flu strikes suddenly and can last several days. One big way to protect yourself is by getting the flu shot. To clear up a common myth, the flu shot CANNOT cause the flu because there is no live virus in the vaccine!
Why get the flu shot:
• It can keep you from getting the flu
• It can make the flu less severe if you do get it
• It can help you from spreading the flu to your friends
Flu prevention tips:
• Wash your hands often with soap and water
• Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer when soap and water are not available
• Avoid close contact with sick people
• Cover your mouth and nose with the inside of your elbow when you cough or sneeze. This helps to contain your secretions without contaminating your hands.
• Use a tissue over your mouth and nose when you sneeze or cough and dispose of dirty tissues immediately
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth since germs spread this way
• Do not share drinks or eating utensils with anyone
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces that may be contaminated with germs like the flu, such as doorknobs, keyboards, and phones
• Exercise daily
• Get an adequate amount of sleep/rest
• Eat a well-balanced diet and drink plenty of fluids
Flu shot fair at Student Health:
Walgreen’s Pharmacy will be providing flu shots at Student Health Services to all current Loyola students, faculty and staff on:
• Wednesday, October 4, 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
• Thursday, October 5, 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
• Wednesday, October 11, 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
• Thursday, October 12, 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
No appointment necessary. Walk-ins welcome!
Please bring your insurance card with you to receive the flu shot.
You MUST present your insurance card to receive the flu shot.
For more information on the flu, please visit https://www.cdc.gov/flu/index.htm. You can also visit or call Student Health Services at 504-865-3326 for more information. We are located in the basement of the Danna Center, just below the Orleans Room.