Welcome back to campus everyone! I hope every one is surviving their semester so far! We have a few things going on and the most anticipated is…  Mardi Gras!! Can I get a “Throw meh sumthin’ Mista!”For those of you who do not know what Mardi Gras is, well, I am here to tell you all about it! (However, I will say that there is a ton of interesting facts that you can find online, so I highly suggest that everyone go online and read about this.) For starters, Mardi Gras means, “Fat Tuesday” in French. At the beginning of this festive season, the famous King Cake makes its annual appearance. King Cake takes its name from the three kings who arrived bearing gifts for the baby Jesus. Their journey is said to have taken 12 days and their arrival marks the 12th day of Christmas, which is also known as Epiphany, King’s Day or Three King’s Day. In American tradition, Epiphany is the beginning of the Mardi Gras season, and some eat a king cake every week until Ash Wednesday marks the end of the merriment and the beginning of Lent.

“What is a King Cake,” you might ask. Well, check out CC’s in the Danna Center and you can see for yourself. Imagine a ring-shaped cake topped with white frosting and a pattern of purple, green, and gold sugar, filled with an array of delicious flavors and the coveted Baby Jesus. Personally, I love the cream cheese- and Bavarian cream-filled cinnamon cakes. Tradition dictates that whomever gets the plastic baby is indebted to provide the king cake for the next party they attend. In fact, many parade Krewes select their King and/or Queen via King Cake. Choking hazard aside, it’s quite entertaining to see kids dig through cake for a plastic baby to proclaim their royalty for the day!

You must be wondering what is with all the purple, green, and gold, right? Well in 1892 the Krewe of Rex established that purple stands for justice, green stands for faith, and gold stands for power. Back in the 8th grade I discovered there are numerous interpretations as to why these colors were ever chosen to represent the season. Some believe it had something to do with a Duke’s visit from Russia to New Orleans, but some say they just look good! Ain’t that an interesting fact!

So in the spirit of Mardi Gras, I leave you with this… Laissez les bons temps rouler!

And for the yankees experiencing their first Carnival season… Let the good times roll!

Sponsored Links : Check weekly flyers to save on weekly essentials; Walmart FlyerCanadian Tire Flyer, Food Basics Flyer