January 15, 2010
Loyola Community Response to Earthquake in Haiti
Attendees: Robert Reed, Kurt Bindewald, Lisa Martin, Katherine Fidler, Catherine Koppel, Meredith Hartley, Angel Parham, Beth Coyne, Lindsey Keslar, Debbie Danna, David Gunn, Jean Montes, Alicia Bourque, Craig Beebe, Marcel McGee, Kristy Magner, Riva Precil, Sareeca Hoskins, Tanya Hamilton, Roger White, Reagan Sidney, David Robinson-Morris, Andrew Poland, Sarah Cooper, Justina LaSalle, Steven Sarpy, Jennifer Torquati, Janise Lampley.
Introduction and Goals
• Robert Reed opened the meeting with prayer for those suffering in Haiti, their loved ones, and all who are assisting in relief efforts.
• Robert Reed identified the following goals for this committee:
o To support faculty, staff, and students personally affected.
o To assist by collecting funds for our brothers and sisters in Haiti.
o To educate the Loyola community about the history of Haiti
• Robert Reed and Kurt Bindewald suggested decentralized fundraising with a centralized giving goal amongst departments and student organizations.
• Robert Reed stated that a benefit concert to aid those in Haiti is already being planned at Loyola with a tentative name of Hope for Haiti. All present agreed to this name.
Suggestions on How to Donate
• Lisa Martin
o www.whitehouse.gov . (NOT www.whitehouse.org )
o Via text message
• Kurt Bindewald recommended sending money rather than material items at this time. He suggested sending donations to any of the following organizations:
o Catholic Relief Services
o Jesuit Relief Services
o Haiti Mission Inc.
o Yele Haiti (Wyclef Jean’s organization)
o Red Cross
o Loyola Office of Mission and Ministry – funds will be sent to the Jesuit Refugee Service.
• Riva Precil
o Hope for Haiti Benefit Concert to be held on February 26th in Roussel Hall.
o Donations using wolfbucks (Craig will speak with Ben or Heather about this possibility).
o Partners in Health (Co-founder Dr. Paul Farmer).
o Doctors without Borders.
• Katherine Koppel
o Episcopal Relief Services
• Concert dedicated to Haiti – January 16th in Roussel Hall
o Joint performance between the Loyola Symphony Orchestra, New Orleans Youth Symphony Orchestra, and the Cornell University Orchestra.
o Jean Montes wants to provide information regarding how to donate and encourage people to help however they can – whether financially or through thought and prayer.
o It will be a free concert and tables will be set up outside the auditorium providing people with the opportunity to donate.
• Hope for Haiti Benefit Concert will be held on February 26th in Roussel Hall.
• Haiti webpage on Loyola site.
o Meredith Hartley plans to make this happen today.
o Website will include a list of events, giving opportunities and links.
o Administrators for the website will be Kurt Bindewald, Robert Reed, and Lindsey Keslar.
• Jean Montes will be holding a forum to provide support, share stories and discuss ideas about Haiti on Wednesdays at 8:00 pm in CM 223.
• Sareeca Hoskins expressed interested in working with Kurt to plan a prayer service for Haiti.
• Riva Precil is working to create Hope for Haiti t-shirts and buttons.
• Robert Reed stated that the bookstore has posted signs explaining options about how to donate.
• Angel Parham discussed an artist she knows who is interested in helping.
• Roger White suggested that the situation in Haiti be mentioned at the mayoral forum tonight.
• Alicia Bourque emphasized that the University Counseling Center is available for those who need help coping with this crisis.
• David Robinson-Morris is communicating with alumni regarding Loyola’s response to the earthquake.
• SGA will hold a meeting for all student organizations on Thursday, January 22nd during the window to discuss Loyola’s relief efforts to Haiti.
• Kurt Bindewald stated that Jo Ann Cruz has expressed interest in having several Jesuit universities work together to plan a trip to Haiti over spring break next year.
• Sareeca Hoskins and Azebe Amare have already spoken to Josh Daly about setting up a trip to Haiti during spring break next year. Angel Parham, Debbie Danna, and Jean Montes expressed interest in being a part of this as well.
• Lisa Martin suggested holding a yearly Haiti benefit and to begin setting dates for long-term aid.
• Katherine Fidler suggested taking this as an opportunity to educate students about the history of Haiti and the political situation there.
• Riva Precil expressed frustration over the negative media focus on Haiti, and would like Loyola to focus more on the positive aspects of the country – the beauty of the Haitian culture and how the Haitians are supporting one another through this crisis.
• Craig Beebe will speak to Ben Hartley and Heather Bacque about the possibility of students being able to donate to Haiti using wolfbucks.
• Meredith Hartley is working to have the Hope for Haiti website up today.
• Riva Precil will work with Beth Coyne on a One Loyola presentation. Craig Beebe also suggested showing this on the Residential Life channel.
• Kurt Bindewald will coordinate a prayer service.
• Sareeca Hoskins will speak to Ivon Fascio regarding placing a display in the bookstore about Haitian culture.
• Sarah Cooper and David Gunn will get information to all student organizations through SGA during a meeting set on January 22nd.
• Lindsey Keslar will create a listserv for this committee.
• Riva Precil is working on t-shirts and buttons.
• The next meeting of this committee will be Friday, January 22nd at 3:30 pm in Gallery Room A.