January 29, 2010
Loyola Hope for Haiti Task Force
Attendees: Robert Reed, Karen Reichard, Andrew Poland, Josh Daly, Mohammad Iqbal, Nicholas Nall, Annie Halbert, Catherine Koppel, Lindsey Keslar, Uriel Quesada, Wadner Pierre.
· The minutes from last week’s meeting were reviewed and accepted.
· Robert Reed stated that if any students are struggling and need support or counseling, let him know and he will make sure that Kurt Bindewald, the Jesuits, and University Counseling Center know.
· Robert Reed stated that Riva Precil would be unable to attend the meeting today, but she had given him the following updates to pass along to the committee:
o The concert benefit on February 26th will be called “Ayiti Cheri”. It will feature Haitian dancers, food, and poetry. Haitian art will be for sale. There will also be a discussion of the history of Haiti and of New Orleans and how the two are related. Angel Parham is assisting Riva Precil with this. No cover will be charged for the benefit.
o Riva Precil will be teaching a Haitian dance class in the Audubon Room on February 21st at 1:00 pm.
o Riva Precil is working with Beth Coyne to schedule a poetry event in March in the One Loyola room.
· Robert Reed reported that Haitian books are now on display in the bookstore.
· Wadner Pierre is returning to Haiti next week. He will bring 2 suitcases with him which he hopes to have filled with toiletries and other small items which Haitians may be in need of. Residential Life is helping him to collect these items by placing bins in the residence halls and outside the University Ministry office.
Supplies to Haiti
· Robert Reed read an email from Kurt Bindewald discussing the possibility of Loyola filling up several containers to send on a ship going to Haiti on February 23rd.
· All present agreed that we should send medical supplies to Dr. Paul Farmer with Partners in Health.
· The committee identified the following questions we need to answer:
o What is the size of each container?
o Who is off-loading the materials from the ship?
o What does Dr. Farmer need?
o How will Dr. Farmer get the supplies?
· Josh Daly suggested contacting Dr. Paul Farmer to find out what he needs and how/if he can access the supplies we send.
· Robert Reed will contact the ship owner to find out how large the containers are.
· Karen Reichard and Josh Daly have been working with a representative from CARE. In the context of the issues addressed in the book Half the Sky she will discuss CARE’s work in Haiti.
· Mohammad Iqbal discussed a benefit that the College Republicans will be holding at the Palms on February 24th. Donations will be given to Partners in Health.
· Nicholas Nall discussed a fundraiser Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society is planning that will possibly be held in March.
· Andrew Poland suggested partnering with local businesses for fundraising, with all money raised going toward one charity organization. Catherine Koppel will speak with someone from St. George’s Episcopal Church, who has a similar partnership with Reginelli’s.
· Uriel Quesada is working on a series of events. Suggested that Wadner Pierre could possibly speak to students about the situation in Haiti after he returns from his trip.