Welcome back! Now that the Spring semester has arrived, it’s time to begin planning for your Summer Legal Studies experience!
For many of you, planning will begin with finding a good flight. Here are a few tips:
- Try Internet-based travel reservation sites like Expedia, Travelocity or Orbitz. These sites are great, as fares are usually cheaper than those offered directly through the major airline websites. Kayak is also helpful, as it researches and displays flight prices from all the major online travel reservation sites.
- *Special tip: Research has shown that Tuesday evenings are the best times to book a flight online, as rates are generally lower then. Avoid booking trips Friday – Sunday, if you can; the airlines raise flight prices on those days because that’s when folks have the most free time to net surf.
- Read the small print. Taking a few minutes to review your charges, connection airports, baggage fees, etc. can save you time and money.
- If you’d rather not book online, hiring a travel agent is also a good option. Please note that you may be subject to paying commission fees in addition to the flight price, though.
- Sign up for fare alerts so you will be immediately notified when a cheap flight is released. A good fare alert website is Airfare Watchdog.
- Consider booking an open-jawed flight (to fly into one destination and depart from another). Open-jawed flights are often the same price as regular flights and will allow you to see more of the region you are travelling to.
- Consider flying into a large airport near your destination, then travelling by train the rest of the way. It’s more expensive to fly into smaller airports, so using the plane/train option can often lower your travel costs. Example: Rather than flying directly into Vienna, you may want to fly into Munich and then take the train.
- Remember to schedule your flights at least 2.5 hours after your exams are complete!
- Most importantly: Don’t be afraid to ask a question! The Center for International Programs staff is always available to answer your travel inquiries!