The Georgia Asylum & Immigration Network (GAIN), a nonprofit organization that provides free legal representation in immigration matters to persecuted asylum seekers and immigrant victims of human trafficking, domestic violence and sexual assault, is seeking an Asylum Attorney to supervise and run our organization’s Asylum Project.
This is a very unique opportunity for a dedicated, creative and passionate individual who thrives in a challenging and collaborative work environment. The applicant must have the skill and ability to work with volunteer attorneys from the private bar and directly represent cases as well.
- Provide individual legal representation and advocacy in immigration matters, specifically for Affirmative and Defensive Asylum Cases.
- Conduct Consultations in office for Asylum Cases.
- Train, Mentor and Supervise Volunteer Attorneys from the private bar as they represent Asylum Cases that are screened by GAIN.
- Attend CFI and RFI interviews with the Circuit Asylum Officers in person when they are in Atlanta, and/or telephonically when remote; and assign CFI or RFI interviews for volunteer attorney attendance.
- Represent detained asylum cases or Mentor volunteer attorneys as they represent detained Asylum clients in the Georgia area detention centers.
- Provide outreach and training to law firms, corporations, law enforcement and community partners on Asylum Law.
- Work with EOIR and the court staff in identifying potential Asylum Cases.
- Participate in community education and outreach activities as needed.
- Assist with holistic advocacy by assessing the additional needs of our asylum clients and connecting them with support in areas including education, health care, housing, etc.
- Assist in the Asylum Project and organization’s growth.
- Work collaboratively with other legal and social service partners who are also providing services to asylum seekers.
This position requires a very high level of organization, a strong work ethic, the ability to manage and prioritize tasks and excellent attention to detail. The ability to work collaboratively, communicate effectively and problem solve is necessary. Experience in public speaking and/or teaching is valued. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required. Applicant must be comfortable working in a law firm environment and must be bilingual in Spanish (speaking/writing).
This is an ideal position for someone who is passionate about immigrant rights and wants to effectuate change in Georgia for asylum seekers. To learn more about GAIN, please visit us at www.georgiaasylum.org
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please email cover letter and resume to Madeline Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please apply by June 30th, 2015.
Title: Asylum Attorney
Education/Qualifications: JD required and 3-4 years of experience in immigration law and/or asylum law. Bar admission is required.
Salary: $42,000- $50,000; Commensurate with experience.
Location: Atlanta, GA
Type: Full-Time Position/Exempt