Families Helping Families of Jefferson Bi-Lingual Information and Training Specialist Job Description
Purpose: The purpose of the Information and Training Specialist is to assist parents of children with disabilities or suspected of a disability how to navigate the special education and health systems. This position will also work with youth with disabilities exiting high school with developing Self-Advocacy Skills and Post-Secondary planning.
Duties and Responsibilities:
40 hours a week position, hourly
1. High School Diploma or equivalent.
2. Microsoft Word, Publishing, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook competency.
3. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
4. Excellent knowledge of computer/internet technology.
5. Excellent organizational skills.
6. Working knowledge of Louisiana Department of Education and U.S. Department of Education bulletins, laws and regulations related to the education of children 0 – 26 years of age with disabilities including but not limited to Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, American’s with Disabilities Act, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Knowledge of the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals Programs for individuals with disabilities.
7. At least 1 year of advocacy experience. (Volunteer experience is acceptable)
8. At least 1 year of public speaking experience.
1. Reliable transportation with the minimum state insurance requirements.
2. Occasional overnight travel.
3. Occasional night time and weekend work.
4. Must believe in Louisiana Act 378 and full inclusion of people with disabilities in school and community.
5. Parent or care giver of a child with a disability or individual with a disability.
6. Acceptable Department of Motor Vehicle Record.
7. Pass required drug test.
8. Bi-Lingual – Must be fluent in reading, writing and speaking Spanish and English.
- Paid Sick Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacation leave
- $12 hr.
Interested candidates should email a letter of interest and resume to Mary Jacob at email@example.com.