The Policy Institute is seeking a highly-motivated individual with excellent communication skills to serve as a Policy Analyst. The Policy Analyst will work closely with the Executive Director to conduct research and writing to support the development, implementation and monitoring of policy proposals; manage communications for the organization and its campaigns; ensure timely and accurate reporting on grants; and support educational and outreach activities around the Policy Institute’s early care and education policy proposals.
1. Research and Writing (35%)
- Conduct primary and secondary research and analysis on the effectiveness and impact of implementation of early childhood care and education policies in Louisiana.
- Gather, generate, message, and utilize national and Louisiana-specific early childhood data and national best practice research to inform policy proposals and advocacy campaigns.
- Research state and federal policy, regulations and statutes related to early care and education.
- Assist the Executive Director and contractors in the preparation, design and dissemination of reports and policy proposals.
- Research and analyze advocacy agendas and strategies to expand, enhance and reform early childhood care and education programs and services at the state level, including increasing funding for programs and services, incorporating best practices based on research into existing and new programs, and initiating new programs and services.
- Conceptualize and draft strategic documents such as policy analyses, testimony, speeches, articles, newsletters and reports for a variety of audiences.
2. Communications and Outreach (35%)
- Manage the Policy Institute’s online presence, regularly updating content and distribution lists/channels to expand the reach of its website, Facebook page, electronic newsletter and other social media.
- Assist the Executive Director in coordinating and implementing events and outreach campaigns in support of Policy Institute objectives.
- Represent the Policy Institute to external constituents on behalf of the Executive Director as needed.
3. Grants Management (20%)
- Monitor progress and support the Executive Director in the timely achievement of key benchmarks and milestones for all active grants.
- Manage and ensure timely and accurate reporting on all Policy Institute grants.
- Write grant proposals, reports and funder updates as needed.
4. Other Duties as assigned (10%)
- Complete tasks requested by the Executive Director to support the effective and efficient operation of the Policy Institute in fulfilling its mission.
- Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree in field related to social work, early childhood, public health, education or public policy preferred.
- 2-4 years professional experience in education, public health, media or public policy.
- Willingness and ability to travel to Baton Rouge and across the state
- Excellent policy research skills
- Excellent communication skills orally and in writing.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Constant Contact, Wix, Survey Monkey, Facebook and Twitter.
- Highly self-motivated, problem-solver with strong organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Flexible, responsive, persistent and positive.
- Available during evenings and weekends as needed.
Resume Cover Letter, and List of three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: Nov. 2, 2015.