Bilingual Immigration Staff Attorney
The Immigration Staff Attorney works to meet the needs of indigent immigrants for immigration legal services by providing direct representation and assistance in applying for immigration benefits before USCIS and direct representation services for immigrants and their families facing immigration removal proceedings at the Oakdale and New Orleans Immigration Courts in Louisiana. The Staff Attorney shall also provide non-representative Legal Orientation Program (LOP) services to immigration detainees in rural Louisiana. Travel is anticipated for three (3) to six (6) days on a monthly basis. MUST BE BILINGUAL (English/Spanish).
- Education:J.D. from an accredited ABA institute
- Preferred Experience:6 months-2 years of general immigration law practice experience – law school clinic work, externships, or other similar training may be counted towards the minimum requirement. However, experience with criminal defense or litigation and willing to learn immigration law will also be considered.
- Certification/Licensure:Louisiana license preferred. Admitted to practice law in any state or the District of Columbia is acceptable.
- Language(s):Spanish reading, writing and speaking fluency required.
- Other Qualifications:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office platform.
- Ability to work with diverse population and needs and handle deadlines and other court demands as needed.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, three references and a writing sample (less than 10 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will continue to receive application materials until the position is filled.
Core Values of Staff:
- Compassion: We treat others as our brothers and sisters. We are one human family regardless of our national, racial, ethnic, economic and theological backgrounds.
- Teamwork: As employees of Catholic Charities, we act as members of one team to accomplish our mission.
- Respect: We serve our clients and interact with our fellow employees, treating them with dignity and respect.
- Integrity: We perform our work honestly to promote the highest trust and confidence in our services.
- Customer Service: We strive to exceed the expectations in the level of services that are provided within the scope of our mission to our clients.
- Justice: Our basic moral test is how the most vulnerable members of our community are faring and how we are serving them within our mission.