The Advocacy Center is seeking applicants for the Elder Justice Americorps Legal Fellow. Please see below. Update: Application Deadline- August 21, 2016.
Employment Opportunity at the Advocacy Center of Louisiana:
Position Title: Advocacy Center Elder Justice AmeriCorps Legal Fellow
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
Mission: The mission of this position is to provide legal advocacy and related activities to address elder abuse, neglect, and other forms of exploitation in Louisiana.
- Provides legal representation to older adults across Louisiana, including outreach, abuse investigation, advice to clients, negotiation on behalf of clients, and representation in court and administrative proceedings.
- Maintains active caseload of individual and/or complex cases, as assigned. Works diligently and zealously to provide representation in accordance with agency standards and the code of professional responsibility.
- Develops and maintains expertise in legal areas within areas of responsibility.
- Provides input in the planning, evaluation, and implementation of the legal work of the agency, particularly as it relates to his/her area of expertise.
- Attends or teaches as necessary to fulfill mandatory CLE requirements.
- Makes public speeches and presentations as assigned.
- Assists with in-service training activities as requested.
- Serves on outside committees as requested.
- Recent graduate of an Equal Justice Works member law school (most schools including LSU, Loyola, Tulane, and Southern are members).
- Member of the Louisiana Bar, have sat for the Louisiana Bar, or be prepared to sit for the Louisiana Bar.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail-oriented and well-organized.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Some in-state travel required. Dependable automobile, valid driver’s license and current liability insurance.
Candidates with experience in public interest law and/or issues related to age or disability preferred.
Advocacy Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status.
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees. Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
To apply for this position, email cover letter and resume to email@example.com.