Louisiana Civil Justice Center is seeking an individual with a J.D. degree for an Equal Justice Works Fellowship beginning September 1st, 2018. This is an exciting opportunity for individuals interested in improving access to justice for many of Louisiana’s most vulnerable people by bringing legal resources to rural parishes in Louisiana. LCJC looks to helps residents of parishes that experience extreme income inequality to overcome civil legal barriers by providing critical legal information, assistance, and resources free of charge. In addition, this project will focus on using technology to provide legal aid through the development of “virtual” help desks in rural areas.
- Conduct legal clinics in libraries across the state of Louisiana
- Meet with representatives of local businesses, community organizations and legal services organizations to discuss the main legal challenges facing each parish.
- Travel to rural parishes and help create legal resources and standing “kiosks”.
- Develop new partnerships with Louisiana community-based organizations to identify opportunities for collaboration.
- Engage in public speaking: including at law schools, conferences, and volunteer training events.
- Develop legal resources tailored to specific populations.
- License to practice law in Louisiana or the willingness to take the bar asap.
- Familiarity with poverty law with commitment to those people affected by such in the state of Louisiana
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Superior analytic skills and legal research and writing skills are essential.
- Must be highly organized and motivated, be able to multi-task, manage a high volume workload, a strong team-player, and have excellent time management skills.
- A valid driver’s license as this position requires driving to various locations around the state of Louisiana.
Send cover letter and resume by September 1st, 2017. Please type “Rural Justice Fellowship” in the email subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. LCJC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY