Community Legal Services, Inc.
Staff Attorney-Public Benefits/Welfare Unit
Philadelphia, PA – Full Time
Community Legal Services (CLS) of Philadelphia is seeking an attorney in its Welfare Unit. The Welfare Unit works on a wide range of state-issued public benefits issues including SNAP (Food Stamps), TANF (Cash Assistance), Medicaid, LIHEAP, Welfare to Work, WIC, and Subsidized Child Care. This exciting and demanding staff attorney position entails a combination of systemic policy advocacy (including administrative advocacy and legislative advocacy), litigation, work with the media and community education, and representation of individual clients in administrative hearings and court actions. The staff attorney will work collaboratively with others in the unit to identify systemic issues, and develop strategies to address them, as well as to zealously represent individuals in need of public benefits. The staff attorney will also have welfare related intake responsibilities and supervision of staff and interns as needed.
We seek applicants with the following qualifications:
· Interest and ability to do thoughtful and high quality systemic advocacy, including administrative policy and legislative advocacy, in a highly technical specialty area
· Litigation experience & interest in developing class action litigation as well as representation of individual clients
· Minimum of 2 or more years of experience preferred. Entry level applicants will be considered if they have strong clinical or internship work experiences.
· Ability to manage a combination of individual cases and systemic work
· Excellent legal analysis skills
· Excellent work ethic, organization, and communication skills
· Excellent legal research and writing skills
· Excellent oral advocacy skills
· Experience and interest in community education, messaging and media work
· Experience and interest in working collaboratively
· Experience and ability to work with low-income and vulnerable individuals, including immigrants, individuals with limited English proficiency, young parents, individuals with criminal records, survivors of domestic violence or sexual assault, and individuals in crisis with an urgent need for subsistence benefits
· Illustrate a high level commitment to racial justice advocacy
· Fluency in another language helpful, but not required
· Data analysis skills helpful, but not required
To Apply: CLS will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position has been filled. You can submit your application on CLS’s website online at: https://clsphila.org/about-cls/available-positions/ OR http://clsphiladelphia.applytojob.com/apply/cW3NqX19Wo/Staff-AttorneyPublic-BenefitsWelfare-Unit