Southeast Louisiana Legal Services (SLLS) is the largest non-profit law firm in Louisiana. We serve twenty-two parishes east of the Atchafalaya basin. We have offices in Baton Rouge, Covington, Hammond, Harvey, Houma and New Orleans. We provide free civil legal aid to low-income households and other vulnerable people.
SLLS anticipates hiring a Gillis Long Social Justice Fellow for our Covington office at 423 N Florida St, Covington, LA 70433 by no later than January 2, 2018 for this Fellowship.
One Year Fellowship to work on general civil legal services and supporting special projects in St. Tammany and Washington parishes including:
- Intake Attorney in Family Law and General Civil Law Matters
- Representation in Landlord-Tenant and/or Consumer Cases
- Outreach and/or Self-Help Projects serving St. Tammany and Washington Parishes
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- Proficiency in written and oral communication, client counseling, advocacy, and social service referrals.
- Dependability, ability to respond to emergencies, good work habits, self-motivation, capacity to work well with others.
- Commitment to working with underserved legal communities.
Required: Only Loyola J.D. graduates who graduated in December 2016 or May 2017, who passed either the February 2017 or the July 2017 Louisiana State Bar Exam, AND who have been sworn into the Louisiana State Bar will be considered.
Full-time staff attorney positions, including Fellowships, require admission to practice law in Louisiana. SLLS does not permit the outside practice of law. Starting salary for a full time staff attorney is $39,000-$48,000 depending on experience. Spanish-English bilingualism and Vietnamese-English bilingualism is a plus that receives extra compensation. Compensation for the one-year Gillis Long Social Justice Fellow will follow this model.
SLLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
To apply, please upload a resume and cover letter (addressed to Laura Tuggle, Executive Director of Southeast Louisiana Legal Services) to Symplicity Job No. 2365 by Wednesday, December 6, 2017.