RESEARCH AND ADVOCACY ASSOCIATE
Community Justice Project, based in Miami, FL, is seeking a Research and Advocacy Associate to join our dynamic and growing movement lawyering team. This position offers the exciting opportunity to work in close collaboration with a group of social justice organizations in South Florida seeking to shift the landscape and advance a transformative agenda for human rights and racial justice.
The Research and Advocacy Associate will provide much-needed research and writing support for ongoing projects, including campaigns in the areas of anti-gentrification, criminal justice, immigrant, and workers’ rights. The Associate will also participate in activities and meetings of Community Justice Project’s organizational partners.
Position: Full time, salaried position for 6 months with the opportunity for renewal. 40+ hours per week.
Benefits: Healthcare (Small Business Health Reimbursement Arrangement) and cell phone reimbursement upon hiring; retirement contributions after period of employment.
Location: Miami, FL
Start Date: January 2018
- Research, using a variety of methods including participatory and scholarly research, data analysis and empirical research;
- Drafting of reports and white papers for community education and advocacy purposes, including consolidation of findings from community efforts, statistical/data analysis and desk-based research into summary reports;
- Creating communications and advocacy materials, including infographics, blog posts and social media tools; and
- Attending meetings, actions and community events that relate to specific research project(s) or ground work.
- Based on engagement with community partners, assessing the need for additional strategic research and communications to support community led campaigns;
- Shifting narratives to ensure community voices are centered, and racial justice and human rights frames are lifted up in public discourse;
- Identifying where research can be leveraged and deployed, as well as creative ways of delivering it to wide and diverse audiences; and
- Working alongside a dynamic team of lawyers and legal workers dedicated to advancing work led by organized communities of color.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Strong research skills, including data analysis, mapping, and visualization.
- Very strong verbal and writing skills.
- Deep commitment to and enthusiasm for racial justice and human rights.
- Understanding of transformative organizing led by low-income Black and Brown people, intersectionality, and anti-oppression principles and practices.
- Understanding how lawyers work in service of movements is a plus.
- Experience working in coalitions and collaborating with diverse partners across a wide range of issue areas.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently in fast-paced environment, and pivot when necessary.
- Experience working in racial justice, human rights, or social justice spaces.
- Language skills in Spanish, Haitian Creole or French strongly preferred but not required.
- A law degree is not required.
Applications will be reviewed and position will be filled on a rolling basis. Please email email@example.com with a resume, cover letter, writing sample and two references in a single PDF document with your name in the title by December 29, 2017 for priority consideration. Please use “Research and Advocacy Associate Application” as the subject line of your email.
Community Justice Project is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, people with disabilities, returning citizens, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer and transgender individuals.