The New Orleans Independent Police Monitor is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Attorney I (Civil Service Classification: Management Development Specialist II).
SALARY: $46,306.00 /Year
OPENING DATE: 01/16/17
OIPM Application Deadline: March 30, 2018
KIND OF WORK:
The ideal candidate for this work must be able to analyze existing law and policy, review the facts provided by NOPD investigators and analyze the quality of their investigations. They must be familiar with employment, criminal and civil rights law and experienced in legal research and writing. The most complex aspects of this work are:
1. The ability to apply appropriate law or policy to a fact scenario.
2. The ability to review large amounts of information, organize it, categorize it and combine it to provide a clear fact scenario, timeline, and logically sound conclusions and theories that are presented, in writing, in clear, concise and persuasive language.
3. The ability to monitor an NOPD investigation in real time: powerful observation skills and an eye for detail; the fortitude to ask key questions; knowledge of and the ability to learn right police practices so that they might identify deviations; willingness to be on call and the physical ability to navigate crime scenes and monitor autopsies.
4. Strong research skills – OIPM often researches topics that are highly specialized or that have not been the subject of easily found academic or judicial review. The person in this position must be able to tenaciously pursue relevant case law, research studies and best practice policies – often on obscure subjects.
5. Impartiality: The ideal candidate must be able to conduct impartial analysis and write legal analysis without bias or emotion. An ideal candidate must have strong professional ethics and clarity about state ethics laws.
For more information, please visit https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/LANOLA/bulletins/1dcead0.