Southeast Louisiana Legal Services (SLLS) is a non-profit that provides civil legal aid to low-income individuals and families in six offices, across 22 parishes throughout southeast Louisiana. We have offices in Baton Rouge, Covington, Hammond, Harvey, Houma and New Orleans. We provide free civil legal aid to low-income households.
SLLS anticipates hiring for the following positions:
We need a Volunteer Coordinator to oversee the daily activities and tasks of volunteer law clerks, undergraduate students, and paralegal students for our six offices. This position will be located in our New Orleans Office and is under the supervision of SLLS’ Pro Bono Program Managing Attorney.
- Possess an ability to work and lead in a diverse team environment;
- Has excellent written, oral, technical, and problem-solving skills;
- Is a confident, well-organized, detailed oriented, and outgoing individual;
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to new and changing environments
- Strong communication skills and experience interacting with all levels of management;
- Open to exploring new technology skills to enhance their daily duties;
- Working knowledge of Excel and Publisher;
- College degree preferred.
Duties will include:
- Scheduling interviews and reviewing candidates for volunteer positions;
- Maintaining records and documentation of volunteers hours and information;
- Providing volunteers with support and guidance to foster a positive work environment and maintain strong relationships;
- Assisting with evaluating the volunteer program on an on-going basis, identify gaps, recommend and implement changes, as appropriate;
- Organizing and participating in volunteer outreach and planning for volunteer special events;
- Developing, maintaining, and distributing volunteer informational materials to recruit new volunteers;
- Matching the needs and skills of volunteers to appropriate offices and SLLS staff
- Scheduling and facilitating volunteer orientation;
Coordinate with the SLLS Director of Development & Strategic Advocacy to manage the fundraiser database and update all volunteer content including brochures, website, social media, and database;
Starting salary for a full time support staff member is $23,200-27,800 depending on experience. Spanish-English bilingualism and Vietnamese-English bilingualism are a plus that receives extra compensation. Support staff may also receive additional compensation if they are commissioned as a notary public or if they have a bachelor’s or associate’s degree from an accredited college.
We also need a Staff Attorney to work on Domestic Violence cases in Terrebonne Parish.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- Proficiency in written and oral communication, client counseling, advocacy, and social service referrals.
- Dependability, ability to respond to emergencies, good work habits, self motivation, capacity to work well with others.
Full-time staff attorney positions require admission to practice law in Louisiana. An offer of employment may also be made contingent on passage of the July 2019 bar exam and being an eligible member of the Louisiana State Bar. SLLS does not permit the outside practice of law. Starting salary for a full time staff attorney is $42,000-$52,800 depending on experience. Spanish-English bilingualism and Vietnamese-English bilingualism is a plus that receives extra compensation.
To apply, send a resume, cover letter and writing sample to Roxanne Newman, Deputy Director at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 22, 2019.