SLLS is Hiring!
Southeast Louisiana Legal Services (SLLS) is a non-profit law firm serving the 22 parishes east of the Atchafalaya basin. We have offices in Baton Rouge, Covington, Hammond, Harvey, Houma and New Orleans. We provide free civil legal aid to low-income households.
SLLS anticipates hiring for the following positions:
DEVELOPMENT & COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR
The Development & Communications Director is responsible for shaping and implementing SLLS’ development and communications initiatives. This includes private fundraising, external relations, developing and implementing communication plans, maintaining social media for SLLS, updating the SLLS agency website, and other special duties as assigned by the Executive Director. The Development & Communications Director positions SLLS strategically for future financial growth and mission success.
- Relevant bachelor’s degree such as marketing, public relations, or strategic planning or law degree with minimum of four years’ of fundraising experience
- Experience in both development and nonprofit organizational/programmatic planning
- Outstanding written, oral, computer, digital media, organizational, presentation, networking, prioritizing, time management and interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively communicate the work of SLLS to diverse external audiences
- Creative, flexible, multi-tasking, detail oriented, analytical and a team player willing to pitch in and do what needs to be done, including small administrative tasks
- Experience in planning and implementing successful fundraising events
- Commitment to high ethical standards and access to justice for SLLS clients
- Demonstrated ability to work independently to meet job expectations without close supervision
- Professional, courteous and concerned about clients
- Strong work ethic
- Desire for professional growth and learning
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and high degree of comfort with Powerpoint, Publisher, and Excel
- Prior civil legal aid, legal services, or other nonprofit experience.
- Five years’ experience in development and planning work, or equivalent experience, education and/or training, sufficient to demonstrate the required knowledge and abilities to perform the duties of the position.
- A proven track record of success in private fundraising, securing major gifts, and training staff and volunteers in development work.
- Demonstrated history of community service and personal involvement
- Experience with the Bloomerang (or similar CRM), Word Press, Canva, and other software to create original content
- Experience placing media stories with mainstream press outlets (print, online, radio, TV) and cultivating relationships with reporters
- Consumer/Public Benefits
- Veterans Justice Project – legal work for veterans impact by COVID-19 crisis
- Domestic Violence work in Lafourche and Terrebonne Parishes
- Employment/Public Benefits
- Consumer/Foreclosure Prevention
- Justice Reinvestment Act Reentry work in Orleans/Jefferson Parish
The ideal candidates will be able to demonstrate:
- Proficiency in written and oral communication, client counseling, advocacy, and social service referrals.
- Dependability, ability to respond to emergencies, good work habits, selfmotivation, dedication to serving vulnerable people, and the capacity to work well with others.
Full-time staff attorney positions require admission to practice law in Louisiana. Starting salary for a full time staff attorney is $46,000-$55,000 depending on experience. Spanish-English bilingualism and Vietnamese-English bilingualism is a plus that receives extra compensation.
Administrative Support Staff
Starting salary for a full time support staff member is $25,200-29,200 depending on experience. Spanish-English bilingualism and Vietnamese-English bilingualism are a plus that receives extra compensation. Support staff may also receive additional compensation if they are commissioned as a notary public or if they have a bachelor’s or associate’s degree from an accredited college.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Roxanne Newman, Deputy Director at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 11, 2020.