We welcome this guest post from Mr. Alex Trout, current Summer Housing Intern for the Department of Residential Life, as he reflects on his experience at Loyola thus far. We are endlessly appreciative of Alex’s energy, enthusiasm, and commitment to the students and community of Loyola University New Orleans.

Alex Trout Intern for Residential Life

Alex Trout is a visiting intern with the Department of Residential Life for summer 2011.

I hope that you are as excited to live on-campus at Loyola as I was when I found out about the opportunity to intern in Residential Life at Loyola for the summer!  As a “first-timer” at Loyola University New Orleans (although, not to Jesuit Education), I felt an immediate sense of community and celebration upon my arrival.  I could not have imagined a better place to spend the summer – in a close-knit community of those who celebrate individual successes and challenge me to grow in faith, knowledge, and ability.

When you arrive or return to campus for the Fall semester, I encourage you to feel and participate in the excitement of a campus community that wants to get to know you personally.  As I have found through interning at LoyNO, the campus is full of opportunities that are unique to Loyola and New Orleans.  The friendly atmosphere of Loyola and New Orleans – which are both alive with great people, good food, and many different cultural opportunities, make this internship experience a dream come true.

Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and connect with other Loyolans and the greater New Orleans community.  I hope that you will take the chance to try something new and live YOUR dream!

A native of Saint Louis, Missouri, Alex now resides in Brookings, South Dakota while working towards a Masters Degree in Counseling and Human Resource Development with a specialization in Student Personnel Counseling at South Dakota State University.  He currently works as the graduate assistant for living-learning programs and services at SDSU in the department of residential life.  Alex holds degrees in Psychology and Music from Loyola University Chicago.  He is entering his fifth year as a staff member in residential life.

Follow Alex on Twitter to keep tabs on his adventures at Loyno!