As a Residential Life professional, I hope the time of year known as “move out” to students is also viewed as “clean out”. I cannot fully express the importance of students taking all of their belongings and thoroughly tidying their rooms before they depart for the summer. Inevitably, items will be left behind.

Special thanks to the student who left this card behind!

I classify items left behind in the following categories:

1. Valuable items left behind unintentionally.
  2. Items clearly left behind with the assumption that someone would use them or throw them away.
  3. And then, a different group of lost things: items unintentionally left behind, of little to no monetary value, but seemingly left there for a greater purpose.

Very few items fall into the last category, but those that do can leave lasting impressions about the students we educate. This year, I found a small, laminated card titled “Ten Commandments for Teenagers” that was left behind in a desk drawer. Here’s a bit of food for thought from that card:

1. Stop and think before you drink.
  2. Don’t let your parents down; they brought you up.
  3. Go to church faithfully. The Creator gives you the week; give Him back an hour.
  4. Choose your companions carefully. You are what they are.
  5. Avoid following the crowd. Be an engine – not a caboose.

Some things are left behind for a purpose – to encourage reflection, discussion, and action. Enjoy the remaining weeks of summer. We’re excited to see you on campus in August!

One Response to Things Left Behind

1. Natalia Verdina says:

I remember when you found this, Kari! I love what it says.