Whether yours is done or not, Residential Life is done taking in RA applications. Now it’s time for the real fun to start. When I turned in my first RA application I instantly set my sights on the group interviews and that’s when I realized that I had no idea what a group interview was. As it turns out, I wasn’t supposed to. I’m not sure if I can tell you what happens behind those closed doors, but I can give you a few pointers to help you make it out alive.

First of all, show up on time. Not even Iggy himself can save you from Res Life’s swift and merciless judgment if you come in late and interrupt this sacred ritual. I don’t remember who showed up late to my group interview, probably because they were never seen again.

Supposing you do make it on time, don’t complain about it being early. You’d better be there with bells on, and by bells on I mean business casual, but not too business, you’re going to be on the floor a lot. But it’s not all about what’s on the outside. You need to be feeling it. Getting some rest and getting excited about being there and having this opportunity is the only way you can prepare. There’s no way to prepare for the questions they’re going to ask you, and by ask you I mean ask everybody, but you’re going to be the one who answers it.

This is the most important part. If you can do this and do it will, you’ll stand out through the selection process: shut up. The key to doing well in the group interview process is realizing that you’re in a group interview for a reason. Res Life isn’t trying to save time and just interview everyone at once, they want to see you work as part of a team. Listen to the people leading the interview and listen to the people you’re being interviewed with. I know it seems like a competition when you’re all trying to get the same job, but Res Life isn’t looking for people who throw each other under the bus or attempt to stab each other in the back.

If you get this job you’ll be functioning as a team for an entire year and that’s a big part of why Res Life does this. You’re here to make friends and show that you  can listen when you have to and speak up when you need to. There’s no need to be on your best behavior or try to be what you think Res Life wants you to be. Just act naturally and be yourself. Unless you’re a jerk. In that case fake it ‘til you make it.