From upholding the Jesuit values to approachable, insightful, and helpful professors, Loyola University of New Orleans has a multi-layered meaning to me. This year has flown by with many memories and experiences. I vividly remember the reason behind choosing Loyola. Originally, I chose Loyola of New Orleans for the School of Mass Communications and other academic reasons. However, I was pleasantly surprised and impressed by Loyola’s accomplishments and connections. Because of the advancement and progress in New Orleans, I knew that Loyola University of New Orleans would be the best opportunity for me because it was growing unlike any other place in the United States. The diversity at Loyola contributes to the peaceful atmosphere with the variety of organizations, activities, and relationships. Loyola means so much to so many people and this is evident in the centennial celebration, but Loyola reveals community to me. From the immediate community of students working together to the entire faculty, staff, and students teaching and learning lessons inside and outside of the classroom, the Loyola community joins over a common love for Loyola. I believe that this shows through in the attitudes of the bright young individuals to the numerous faculty and staff members’ encouragement.  Also, the Loyola community has relationships with one another in and outside the Loyola community. These relationships are crucial for a Jesuit institution and Loyola’s mission. Relationships can be as simple as positive communication with a professor to networking with local or national businesses for a job after graduation. These relationships are rooted in the Jesuit values and principles. The Jesuit value of the heart, generosity, is provided to in many ways but a specific example is through student scholarships that allow many students to attend Loyola. The Jesuit value Development of the Whole Person (Humanistic Education & Responsible Citizen of the World) and Dignity and Value of Each Person (Appreciation of Diversity) are exemplified in programs such as the Wolf Pack welcome activities to other bonding events such as Snow Day at Loyola.

Through my perspective, I have learned that Loyola is a diverse community that values ethical Jesuit relationships, and this is a glimpse at what Loyola means to me.

What does Loyola mean to you?