Happy December y’all! This is one of the greatest months of the year, but there is this one thing that adds a slight damper to all the festivities: FINALS.

I don’t know about everyone else, but I personally hate exams and everything that goes with them.

One of the biggest things that I see with exams, papers, or even big tests is people pulling “all-nighters.”

Now, I am the type of person who cannot handle all-nighters, I need my sleep. My brain shuts off after a certain point and I know that sitting there cramming when my brain isn’t functioning properly isn’t helping anything. I would rather be refreshed in the morning than dazed and confused.

However some people thrive on all-nighters and can actually pull off that “A.” Which I totally respect those people, because I cannot function without my minimum six hours of sleep.

I have read that all-nighters can be bad for scientific reasons, not just your emotional being.

Apparently while you sleep, memories are created. All day your brain is processing information, but when you fall asleep it allows your brain the time to make that information a permanent part of your brain.

So under that theory, avoiding sleep can lead to your brain not making the information permanent and it just goes away. Did you ever hear the old myth that you should study before bed, because it’ll make you remember better? Maybe that actually has some significance.

I have also read an article that said your state dependent, or state of mind, plays a part in your studying and then test taking. The state you are in when you learn something is the state you should take the test in. So, if you start studying for the test alert or sleepy and that condition is different for the test, then you might not perform as well.
You know what works best for you and your body. If you are the type of person that can function with a limited amount of sleep, then right on. If you’re like me and need you’re beauty rest, I totally understand.

What study habits do you have and what do you find works best for you? Do you think it is beneficial to stay up and cram, or would you rather get some sleep and study in the morning?