While dancing around my room to Martina McBride, I began to think about the many different Mardi Gras parades, krewes, and throws. Every parade that I attended during Mardi Gras 2012 was elaborate and unique; however, my favorite parade was Muses—an all-female parade. They roll on the Thursday before Fat Tuesday– February 7th is the date the parade will fall on this year. I would advise getting to a spot along the parade route early or coming up with a strategy to catch… a SHOE!

Regular heels and shoes are transformed into unique throws that every person should see for themselves. These shoes are handed out by the women of Muses, and the floats are equally entertaining.

After watching the Muses parade, I researched the Krewe of Muses, and found out valuable information about the Krewe’s activities on the other 364 days of the year.

According to their website, “Since its inception in 2000, the Krewe of Muses has always viewed community involvement as an important component of its mission.” One way the Muses are very active off of the parade route is by giving back to the community every year.

As an all-female Krewe, they emphasize putting women first in their selection of a charity. In accordance with their mission, The St. Bernard’s Project, New Orleans Musician’s Relief Fund, and Shades of Praise have been recognized in recent years.

Also, the shoe has inspired charity from within the members of the Muses, and they have put together shoe incentives for needy women to join an area literacy program. This program was extended to men and children in 2007.

By reaching out to the less fortunate, the Muses organization has exhibited the Catholic value, Preferential Option for the Poor, and this charity work concreted Muses as my favorite parade.

Although, Muses is my favorite parade, another all-female Krewe, Nyx, paraded for the first time in 2012. They are at the top of my parade list to catch this year.

What is your favorite parade? Will you be enjoying the Mardi Gras festivities this year?