Lisa Martin was the first professor I met at Loyola. I remember feeling fairly nervous about meeting her because her smile was movie-star worthy, so I kept letting people go in front of me until there was no one left. She introduced herself, helped me pick an extra class, and I mentioned in passing that I wanted to work in television when I grew up.

“Television is your thing?” she replied. “You’ll want to stick with me.”

I did. I immediately requested her as an advisor and took her class in the spring. I listened to a slew of her crazy stories. I looked through all of her pictures from Saints and Hornets games online. I wondered, with the rest of my class, how she would post on Facebook at four or five in the morning about the beautiful new day and still show up to class four hours later perfectly dressed, awake, movie-star grin on her face. She taught me several lessons besides how to tell a succinct and tight story—like always plan to get to your destination early, because somehow, something will make you late; or a well-phrased, enthusiastic question can turn an interview around.

Also, she can run a mean workout session. I haven’t done one of her classes yet, but I’ve heard great things (this is also why I’m afraid of doing the class).

One time, while I was in her office, I talked to her about my anxiety regarding the job market. She gave me advice that I haven’t forgotten: she told me not to think of myself as a statistic. If I wanted to make it in a profession where only 10% of the people succeed, I should work up to being in that 10%, not let the statistic discourage me.

Professor Martin made me feel so welcome during my first year at Loyola. Though I haven’t had a class with her since, I still drop into her office sometimes to ask how things are going. I always check my watch though—one does not simply talk to Professor Martin for ten minutes. At least half an hour later, we’ll have covered human rights, current events, and several of her fantastic vacation stories. She’s just a person you want to know, because after you spend a few hours with her, you realize you’re not going to meet another person like her again.