This is my third year in New Orleans, and I’ve attended some pretty awesome events—Voodoo Fest, Blues Fest, even comic book conventions. I’ve walked miles going to and from Mardi Gras parades and chomped on crawfish from Tulane’s CrawFest. However, every year, one event eludes me—the Po-Boy Festival on Oak Street.

A lot of people like to describe Oak Street as a second Magazine Street—that is, it’s an uptown street with great restaurants and quirky shops. It really has its own personality. Every year, they hold a festival celebrating the po-boy (a long sandwich like a sub, but so much better). Every year, I have all-day commitments on that weekend and can’t attend. The stories I’ve heard and the pictures I’ve seen, though, make it sound like paradise. Po-Boys of every kind—stuffed with mozzarella, provolone, roast beef, fried chicken, fried shrimp…everything—out for sale. The event is also a contest, with prizes handed out for categories like Best of Fest, Best Turkey/Chicken, Best Sausage, Best Seafood, Best Pork Beef, and others. Gambit readers have named the festival the Best Food Festival for the third year in a row, according to the Po-Boy Festival’s website.

Like every good festival, the Po-Boy Festival has live music and kids’ play activities. It also features a history panel. The Oak Street Po-Boy Festival takes place in November on dates announced after the New Orleans Saints’ game schedule has been announced. If you haven’t gone yet, you should go. Maybe you’ll see me there this November!