After the Mardi Gras parades have finishes their route and the beads fill the trees on St. Charles Avenue.  I find myself asking what comes next? Mardi Gras was never meant to stand by itself. The Mardi Gras season was created as a predecessor to the season of Lent. Mardi Gras means Fat Tuesday, and Fat Tuesday is the day before Lent begins. Many people especially in New Orleans use this season to “splurge” before Lent. However, Mardi Gras would be obsolete without Lent.

Do you have as much enthusiasm about the season of Mardi Gras as the season of Lent?

Lent is not a commercialized season, but it is a very important part of the Christian calendar. The 40 day fast in the wilderness by Jesus is supposed to be remembered during the season of Lent by Christians.  Sacrifice, fasting, and reflection are on my mind during Lent, but in the past, I have felt that I never am able to capture the true essence of the season. In the past, I have looked at Lent as a time to give up something, but I believe this Lenten season, I will focus on the small things, I often overlook. During the 2013 season of Lent, I will focus on the Jesuit value, Appreciation of Things Both Great and Small. I hope to gain a new appreciation of the way God shows Himself in my life.

How will you celebrate the season of Lent?