When I was a young girl, I celebrated Easter by jumping out of my bed to find my gifts from the Easter bunny and putting on my flowery dress to go to mass on Easter day. After church, I would continue the celebration with many other children in a race for the golden and colorful eggs filled with candy and sometimes coins. However, I never was too concerned with finishing the Easter egg hunt and filling my basket with eggs because I became distracted by the playground or looking for the best prize.

Easter still remains one of my favorite holidays, but I still find that I just as distracted during the holiday as I was when I was a young girl. Maybe not by the swing set or monkey bars, but by the commercialized sensation that Easter has come to be. The colors, flowers, gifts, and food could never measure up in comparison to Jesus’s resurrection, so why am I distracted?

Whether my long candy list or decoration list may be to blame, Scripture always concretes the reason behind the Easter season into my mind and clarifies the beauty behind the holiday.

Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him. 10 For the death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God. 11 So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus, proclaimed in Romans 6: 8-11.

All types of candy and fun aside, the reason for Easter should be remembered in festive joy and celebration. This is a fundamental and important holiday within the Christian church—as Jesus Christ was resurrected.

How will you celebrate Easter this year?