Loyola is the only Jesuit University to have a College of Music rather than a department or school. This speaks to the music culture and possibilities available in our colorful city of New Orleans. New Orleans has many opportunities for students to showcase their talent within the city, but this one of the opportunities students have to demonstrate their hard work at Loyola—recitals.

I don’t have a musical bone in my body, but I have a lot of respect for the hard work the music majors put in, (and it seems as if they work during all hours of the night– this alone deserve applause! )  As a Mass Communication major, I spend many hours in the Mass Communication/ Music Complex, and I continually hear music majors practicing and perfecting their music.

The senior and junior recitals allow the Loyola community to come together, enjoy, and celebrate the great entertainment and musical ability that students choose to showcase to their peers and in a unique setting.

I have seen a multitude of advertisements and flyers around campus regarding these events. From funny pictures to professional poses, I am intrigued to learn more about these recitals through the advertisements. Musicians have a keen eye to sell their work, and an advertisement is a way to visually depict their talent.

A few approaching recitals include:

The Trinity Junior recital Beau Autin, Jessica Mixon, and Thomas Lin on Thursday at 7:30p.m.

Victoria LaFitte on Sunday April 14 at 7:30 p.m.

Also many other music events will be taking place in the month of April at Loyola University New Orleans including:

On April 13, Loyola Symphony Orchestra with Concerto Competition Winners at 7:30 p.m. in Roussel Hall

On April 20, Loyola Concert Band at 3  p.m. in Roussel Hall

On April 21, Loyola Jazz Band at 3 p.m. in Roussel Hall

On April 21, Loyola University Chamber Singers at 7:30 p.m. in Holy Name of Jesus Church

What has your favorite senior or junior recital been?