Family Weekend 2011 was timed perfectly for me. I had settled into my residence hall, and I was comfortable with my class schedule. I finally felt like a college student. Because I am from Illinois, my parents were unable to make the events of the weekend, but a close family friend was able to be my surrogate family member for the events. The weekend began with registration and a Family Weekend t-shirt.

My favorite event of the weekend was the tour of the city. We went through a cemetery and saw elevated graves, and throughout the tour many parts of the city were pointed out in excitement, but our tour guide discussed Hurricane Katrina on numerous occasions. A great quote I took away from the tour was trust that in New Orleans there is always has a reason to celebrate.

Family Weekend 2012 rolled around, and I had told my parents this weekend was exclusively reserved for first year students and their parents. To my surprise, I saw upperclassmen students partaking in the family weekend events. I was so jealous and wished that my family had come!

Family Weekend sticks out in my head as a highlight of my freshman year… and my family friend still wears his orange t-shirt. What memories will you create on Family Weekend?

Click here if you are interested in attending Family Weekend or would like additional information.

One Response to Family Weekend Memories

1. Marta says:

Nice meeting and interesting t-shirts.