Don’t you just love that headline?

Sadly, I’m no copywriter, and I have to give credit where credit is due. I just read this post from the folks at Navigation Arts and felt compelled to share. And while we aren’t a “corporation” per se, universities certainly have their bureaucratic qualities.

So often the web communications team gets questions on how we make decisions on what gets shown on our university homepage. With so many things going on at Loyola, it helps to have a few guiding principles–I’m including a few taken from the article I’ve linked to above–but the main one is to to be sympathetic to our audience. As hard as it is to hear, your website should be about the audience you’re serving, not about you. This is particularly relevant in Loyola’s case.

Some pointers (again, from Navigation Arts):

• Users do not care about how your corporation/association/organization is structured, present yourself in a legible, intuitive format online.
  • Users do not understand fancy labels that you may use internally for your products, think of names that are simple and easy to understand.
  • Users mostly scan and don’t like to read lengthy content; while writing copy for your Web site keeping it short and concise is important.

All of these pointers are things that all of us here in web communications have discussed before, but sometimes it’s nice seeing them mentioned by other people out in the great world-wide-web. And if you have a moment, take some time to scan Navigation Arts’ website. They have a ton of great resources for how to approach your web strategy.